I knew the reason a one-year-old's mosquito bite was infected was because he'd scratched it – and all that nasty bacterial gunk under his fingernails had crept way in there. And that could only mean one thing: necrotizing fasciitis, AKA flesh-eating bacteria!
Cellulitis, I knew, is also an infection caused by bacteria infiltrating the skin, but the difference is it's still in the shallower layers of the skin When the infection spreads to the deep layer of skin called the fascial lining, the bacteria can begin to consume the flesh—hence the name, "flesh-eating" bacteria.
So, the key is quick diagnosis and treatment, which T-Rex's doctor emphasized in her response.
"It's cellulitis," she said, looking me square in the eye. "But it's a good thing you brought him in right away because we need to make sure it doesn't get any worse."
The article goes on to share tips for mosquito-bite prevention to avoid complications like cellulitis and West Nile Virus..